Location: LaPorte, IN* Department: Quality Engineering
*If you are visiting this page via our LinkedIn post, there is a location error. This position is for LaPorte, Indiana not Kokomo, Indiana.
To provide daily support to our Quality Assurance and Quality Engineering effort related to the quality system, new alloy scale-up, special quality and nonstandard processing, specification review, and acceptance/exception criteria. This role will also provide backup support to quality related to Material Release and Certification and be involved with other related projects as directed by Quality Assurance Management.
Role Qualifications: (Required) & (Preferred)
H.S. diploma (R), A.S/B.S in Quality, Engineering or Business (P)
3-5 years in Quality Control, Mfg Engineering, wrought alloy processing and/or technical function (R).
Areas of Knowledge:
Quality Control, Quality Auditing, manufacturing processes and equipment, statistical process control, ISO and AS specification requirements, Metallurgy/Metals Manufacturing, Aerospace quality systems/standards i.e. GE, Nadcap, Pratt & Whitney, Rolls Royce, FAI, FMEA Manufacturing processes, Quality Control, Quality Auditing, clerical, and/or Testing and Release, Metallurgical or Chemical laboratory experience, Specification Interpretation ( all P)
Skills: Basic math, strong organizational skills, communication skills, general computer (MS Excel, Access, Word) (R)
Global Accountabilities for the Role:
1 Safety/Environmental: Support the corporate safety and environmental priority through proactive focus on use of proper PPE and efforts to improve the safety in Haynes’ manufacturing processes.
2. Quality: Ensure the quality of the product to the customer by investigation and resolution of product quality, product testing, quality system, conformance to standards, and specification problems.
3. Productivity: Have an attitude of timeliness for requested work from manager, colleagues, and key cross functional relations.
4. Cost/Stewardship: Demonstrate stewardship in exercising judgment in the use of company resources with regards to the quality group and its resources.
Specific Accountabilities for the Role:
1. General: Have an understanding of the Haynes Quality System requirements, the basic ISO, NADCAP, and AS requirements, and basic product and process flows to enable daily support of our quality objectives.
2. Quality Assurance Support: (a) Perform internal audits as directed by the lead auditor (b) Work as directed on customer return samples for investigation of root cause of the defects (c) Assist as directed on external and customer audits (d) Work to ensure NCRs have adequate resolution and provide follow-up as directed, (e) Utilize internal procedures and systems to monitor processes for off quality trends and initiate corrective actions, (f) Maintain Approved Vendor List (AVL), (g) Review Quality Clause(s) as requested by Sales, (h) Maintain customer survey data
3. Quality Engineering Support: (a) Provide the Quality Engineering department with support as necessary to meet Quality System requirements involved with new alloy scale-up, special quality, customer samples, customer special requests, and nonstandard processing, and customer audits/plant tours. (b) Initiate Product Reviews on nonconforming material. (c) Provide data analysis on heat treat data for property surveys and function as a backup for the data heat treat reviews for daily annealing.
4. Specification Reviews: (a) Assist with test data collection, test data analysis, specification review and other Quality issues including special process requirements as directed. (b) Provide updates on specifications from various customer sites as required to maintain the quality system. (c) Answer technical and specification questions for both internal and external customers
5. Backup Support: (a) Provide back up support to Release and certify material for shipment (b) Serve as backup to the RMA coordinator, (c) Backup for daily scrap and rework report.
6. Communication: (a) Effectively monitor, document, and report status, activity, and progress in area of responsibility, (b) Provide required input into the monthly report in a timely manner.
7. Project Management: Participate on assigned Quality Assurance & Quality Engineering projects to insure yearly commitments are met.
Working Relationships: (Roles/Titles)
1. Manager-once-Removed: Manager, Quality Assurance
2. Manager: Lead Senior Quality Assurance Engineer and Lead Auditor
3. Direct Reports: None
4. Colleagues: QE and QA personnel, Mfg. Engineering Engineers and Technicians.
5. Key Cross-functional Relationships: Mfg. Eng Manager, Manufacturing & Inspection Supervisors, Test Labs personnel, Certifications personnel, Production Control, Sales and Marketing.